Saturday, May 28, 2011

Unexpected

When life throws something unexpected our way it is usually a curveball, running the gamut from a big financial bite to devastating illness.  But a few nights ago we were surprised by something unexpected that has turned into something wonderful.  I must start this story by telling you we live in the historic district of the capital city of our state.  Granted it is a small city, we have no skyscrapers, but we are just a few blocks from downtown, and a few more blocks from Legislative Hall.  (lest you imagine we live in a regal, grand historic home I should clarify that although our house is about 100 years old, I would call it "vintage" rather than historic! :) 

Our daughter was playing with a neighbor and when we went to pick her up they were at the end of the street under a thicket of shrubs.  When we asked what they were doing they said "We are trying to catch a chicken!"  A chicken??!  And they did.  We asked around but no one seems to know where it came from.  In fact we flagged one woman down who had driven around the block several times and asked "Are you looking for a chicken?"  She laughed a lot and replied "I don't think anyone has ever asked me that!"








So now "Rosie" has entered our lives and our hearts.





She is a very friendly chicken.  I think she is beautiful too.





We have checked city ordinances and hens are allowed.  So I think we are the newest members of the urban chicken farmer craze.  She is going to be an "only" chicken though.  We will wait a while longer to see if anyone claims her, and if not we will convert half of our shed into a coop and build a run.  Rosie has made herself right at home, she is crazy about her dried mealworm treats, and I finally found a place that sells Purina chicken scratch.  I was puzzled this morning because she seemed a bit out of sorts, she seemed to be complaining.  I made a quick trip to the grocery and when I returned.....





I found a perfect little yellow egg!  I will let you know if it is a double yolker.

Hope your world is Rosie too!!!!


PS.   This is why I haven't been posting art, been shopping for chicken supplies!

4 comments:

The Muse of The Day said...

OMG OMG OMG
I WANT A CHICKEN TOO!!!

I am sooo green with envy, you can't even imagine. Probably all this weeks paintings will look green and it will be due to the jealousy and envy that will be coming out of every pore in my skin!!!

I have a great life, yes I am grateful, but it just isn't ROSIE!!!!!

Carolina

Hands Sew Full said...

Hi I just stopped over from Carolina's Muse and I have to say this is probably one of the most interesting events I have heard about! How cool to just FIND a chicken? Dogs, cats, bunnies...OK...chicken...?? Well not usually! However, if that is how your day went well, congratulations on your new chicken and her absolutely lovely looking egg!

mama bleu said...

How fun is that!! I love her name!

The Muse of The Day said...

Just checking in. I was hoping to see a painting of Rosie. How are the eggs? Have you tried one yourself? I miss your paintings. Carolina