Monday, January 17, 2011

WIP...from hell

Don't get me wrong, I love this sweater, but this has been a work in progress for FIFTEEN years.  It is a simple crewneck sweater that I started back in 1995 when I was learning how to knit (self taught).  The first version was dark blue and I quit when the pattern told me to decrease, I figured it was too hard.  Once I learned that decreasing was easy, I picked it up again but then couldn't find the rest of the yarn (several house moves later).  I found a lovely sage green and started again.  I was nearing completion of the back of the sweater (the first piece), when I had to face the cold hard facts, and believe me I TRIED to ignore them.  My size is muy largo, but this sweater was looking like it could fit an elephant. "Gosh, were they really serious about all those admonitions to check the gauge?"  So I finally checked the gauge and yeah, it was a little off.  Started all over again and THEN noticed I didn't have all the same dye lot and the color change was very evident.  Enter cute cherry color that you see now, and I am almost done with the back piece.  This sweater, my first sweater, is on my bucket list.  I will complete this sweater, even if it takes me another 15 years!

2 comments:

The Muse of The Day said...

It is hard to get past the "fifteen years". I am laughing out loud. I will try to get through the rest of the post. Carolina

The Muse of The Day said...

I am telling you, Alicia, this absolutely has to be at the TOP of your bucket list. Can you even fathom what it will be like when you try it on? Perhaps when it's done, if you are still doing the tread mill, you will have a sweater that is TOO- LARGO. Actually it should be TOO-GRANDE, but lets not boggle you down with details that might slow the progress any further. And yes, Alicia, "gauge" is really supposed to be a four letter word (the "e" is silent). I am working on the green sweater as we "speak". Keep going. Carolina