Monday, May 9, 2011

Sketch of the Day


This is one of many little floral pincushions I made.  Unfortunately I don't have a nice little story to go with it; I was just looking for something to sketch and I thought it might be fun to paint the details on the fabric.  The center of the flower is a pearl and a clear button.  The clear button was very difficult, I might have to paint a whole pile of them before I begin to learn how.

Speaking of learning, because yesterday was Mother's Day I got to choose the family activity, and I chose to go to the batting cages.  It was a blast!  I'm working on medium-fast baseball, and I'm pretty good if I do say so myself.  In fact, I had so much fun I went back today while the kids were in school.  I thought I even might try fast-baseball but I quickly discovered my left hand is bruised and my right shoulder is sore.  Maybe batting gloves would help my hand.  I wonder how fast those baseballs are flying, I know a MLB fastball is in the mid to high 90's (mph), so maybe around 75mph for the medium-fast machine?  I also don't know how a pitching machine compares to an actual pitcher.  I do know I am in pain so I will let my hand rest a few days before I go back.  I will let you know when I succeed at hitting a fast ball.  I am determined!

1 comment:

The Muse of The Day said...

As far as the pitcher vs.the batting machine, chances are the pitcher might be cuter (that statement encapsulates how much I know about the topic of baseball). As far as the painting for the day, I think you were very successful with the fabric. To challenge yourself with painting things like fabric and clear buttons will push you towards growth. Just like the batting cage, it will get you excited. I am very happy that we are pushing ourselves with our painting. There are times, a few days after I have done a painting, when I see what I could have done differently - usually it has to do with values. I get lost in the colors and don't see the values that well until I go back to it a few days later. Does that ever happen to you? Carolina